Sorry for the delayed post… I had some internet and computer issues this morning and I was almost finished with this post. I had more pictures to share with you but they aren’t going to make it
Wow somehow it’s Thursday already and it seems like I can’t keep track of my days this week because they are flying by (no complaints!)
Yesterday the weather warmed up for us a bit. I was able to get out and walk Cooper in the late afternoon. The sun was shining, but don’t get me wrong it was still freezing when the wind blew. I let him run around at the park and then we walked along the water. Fresh air always feels nice even when your nose turns red.
I have a recipe to share with you today that is a great substitute for regular Beef Meatballs. I made turkey meatballs the other night in hopes that we could sneak some veggies in for Ava and of course for myself too. I love red meat, but obviously its nice to change things up and keep it healthy!
These were so easy to make and they turned out super moist (thanks to the veggies). I had 2 meatballs on my plate but I couldn’t help but to grab another one. Ava kept making an MMMM-MMMM noise when she was eating them and reaching for more. When she says MMMM that’s her happy, I like these Mom noise. WIN! If she didn’t like them she would hand them off to Cooper so I was happy she approved.
Sometimes turkey meat dries out so I was super happy with the result and I WILL be making them again.
Kid Approved Turkey Meatballs Recipe (with hidden veggies)
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Mushrooms
- 1/3 finely chopped Spinach (I used frozen, make sure the water is drained)
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb
(I used Trader Joe’s Ground Turkey, it was great!)
- In a frying pan cook the mushrooms & spinach on medium heat until slightly tender. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix turkey, bread crumbs, mushrooms, spinach, egg, Mrs. Dash seasoning, and salt until well combined; form into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning, until browned, about 7 or 8 minutes.
- Add chicken broth; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 8 or 9 minutes minutes. Serve.
Make sure not to over cook the meatballs because they will eventually dry out!
We served these with some gluten free pasta and lots of veggies, but you could have them with quinoa or as is with a side salad!
What is your go to Kid-Approved dinner recipe?
Do you enjoy walking outside during the winter when its not -15 degrees out?