Since it is vacation season I have a great topic to discuss with you today, thanks to my client Sheila.
Making healthy choices… even on vacation!!
The thought of vacation gets me excited and I’m sure it gets you excited too. It is something to look forward to and a time to spend with friends and family without any obligations. When I go on vacation I think of it as a time to relax, rejuvenate, see different places, try new things… but by no means do I leave all my healthy habits behind.
Do you use vacation as a time to splurge on unhealthy food & drinks, just because you are away from it all?
Here are some tips to staying healthy and to make wiser choices while on vacations:
- WALK… there are so many places to see when you are on vacation so take the scenic route and walk. Explore all the shopping areas and restaurants in the town or city you are visiting. Better yet rent a bike!
- Indulge but don’t SPLURGE.. if you want a slice of pizza have it but pair it with some veggies and a tossed salad. If you want ice cream or dessert, consider it a treat.. don’t have it every day you are on vacation.
- Drink water… being on the beach or out in the sun can quickly dehydrate you. Don’t let it happen. Carry a water with you and keep an extra in your bag.
- Don’t eat until you are stuffed… eat until you are satisfied. When you feel like your button is going to pop off your pants, you ate TOO much.
- If you are drinking alcoholic beverages… limit them to non-sugary drinks such as light beer, wine spritzers, etc. Don’t forget to drink water!
- Exercise… sure the walking counts but you have way more time then you normally do so hit the hotel gym or do some bodyweight exercises in your room such as pushups, situps, and squats.
Remember to have FUN… you deserve it!