The Fit Skool

by Kelly

Trainer Tip #13: Follow through with your commitment.


Trainer Tip #13: Follow through with your commitment.

How many of you tell yourself “I am going to workout 3 times a week” or “I am going to stick to a clean eating program for 30 days”? Do you usually follow through? or Do things get in the way?

It got me thinking about commitment and what it means to me. Not just to fitness and health, but the word Commitment in general.

I have committed to eat healthy 90% of the time and I have stuck with it. The other 10% are treats here and there that I don’t feel guilty about. If Marc asks me if I want ice cream or a glass of wine, sometimes it’s hard to say No :) Sometimes I’m the one asking him! I have found a great balance with nutrition and I am happy with that. I think once you find that balance you have made healthy eating a lifestyle change.

On a different note,  I made a fitness commitment on New Years that I didn’t quite follow through with. I told myself I was going to complete 5 consecutive Pull-Ups by summer. I can’t say I didn’t complete this task because I never put myself up to the pull-up bar to do the challenge. While I didn’t fail I still haven’t completed my goal.

We all have excuses and mine was for the pure fact that I was fearful of pushing my body too hard. I workout 5 days a week for my job so on my rest days I felt it was important to rest and when my shoulder was bothering me I didn’t push it.


I have spent extra time strengthening my back and shoulders and I know I can do it!  Because I am a committed person I am going to put the test in front of me this weekend to prove to myself that I can do those 5 pull-ups.

So to finish up my point, I feel like if your heart, mind & body isn’t fully into something then you shouldn’t commit to it. It’s easier said then done, we have all broken commitments before, but I am asking you to think very carefully before you make your next commitment. 


For more tips, check out the links below!

Trainer Tip #12: Check your ego at the door

Trainer Tip #11: Listen to your Body

Trainer Tip #10: Take your Warm-up Seriously!

Trainer Tip #9 Keep your muscles confused

Trainer Tip #8: Make time for yourself

Trainer Tip #7: Get more out of your Group Fitness Class

Trainer Tip #6  Choose exercise that you enjoy doing

Trainer Tip #5 Quality vs Quantity

Trainer Tip #4 Lift a little heavier

Trainer Tip #3 A short workout is better then no workout

Trainer Tip #2 Exercising outdoors

Trainer Tip Tuesday #1: If you don’t like an exercise, start doing it!


Have you stuck with any new years commitments?

What’s something you set out to complete and followed through with?

Author: Kelly @ The Fit Skool

I’m Kelly, a NASM personal trainer and group instructor, a former athlete, a wife and soon to be mommy. Health and Fitness is my passion and I am excited to share this journey with you!

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.