I have always been into cooking but since my pregnancy started my interest in food and cooking meals has sort of vanished. These past few weeks have been a little different and I cooked a majority of our dinners and even got creative a couple nights.
I was craving something different and something I haven’t had before so I immediately started searching the internet for recipes.
I stumbled upon a Chicken Piccata recipe and the lemons caught my eye. I’m not a caper fan so I knew right away I would be leaving that out! I tried to make the recipe my own because sometimes I don’t agree or like everything I see. I omitted the added sugar, changed the flour, and used some dried herbs. It turned out great.
If you are a fan of lemon flavor this recipe will definitely be a hit. Marc and I both enjoyed it!!
HEALTHY LEMON CHICKEN
- 1 1/2lbs of chicken breast cut into 5 pieces and pounded to 1/2-3/4 inch thin
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 lemon cut into thin rounds
- 1 tbsp brown rice flour, or regular white/wheat flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- salt & pepper
1. Combine Lemon slices & garlic in a bowl.
2. Season chicken with Salt & Pepper. Heat large skillet to high heat. Add 2 tsp olive oil. Add chicken and cook about 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and place on plate. Add lemon and 1 clove of garlic to the pan with 1 tsp olive oil, turn frequently until lemon is browned. Remove lemon mixture and add to bowl.
3. Heat pan to medium heat add butter, grated garlic, oregano, thyme, onion powder and white wine to pan. Scrape up and bits on the bottom of the pan. Add chicken stock brown rice flour and 1 tsp butter to pan. Bring to a boil and stir. Simmer for a few minutes. Add chicken back to the pan and cook another 2-4 minutes on medium heat. Place chicken on plate and top with Lemon mixture.
We served this with mashed sweet potatoes and green beans in olive oil. We’ve had this recipe twice and we loved it both times!