I’m nearing the end of my 2nd trimester and I’ve been getting TONS of questions about my exercise lately.
I’m receiving questions daily about my workouts and how long I will continue to workout while I’m pregnant. The truth is I don’t really have an answer. My goal is to continue up until the end (like I did with Ava) but that will depend on how I feel and if my doctor approves.
I have found exercise to be not only a great energy booster, but it helps my mood, it helped with my nausea in the first trimester, and I just feel better when I’m active!
There were things that I did avoid or adjust to accommodate my changing body and also to keep the baby as safe as possible.
Things I avoided during pregnancy:
- After the first trimester I avoided lying flat on your back.It effects blood flow to and from the heart.
- I avoided exercising in rooms that had higher temperatures or if I was training outdoors I was conscious of the temperatures or heat index. I always wear comfortable clothing and not anything too tight.
Things I adjusted while exercising during pregnancy
- Keep a water bottle around at all times.
- adjust core training by doing ab exercises on an incline bench.
- Reduce intensity. Instead of going 110%, I scaled back so that I could still sweat but not become exhausted.
- At each appointment I discussed exercise with my doctor.
- In my case I am the instructor but if I took a class I would definitely listen to any advice or suggestions my instructor had.
- Adjust range of motion and remember your flexibility and ligaments are looser during pregnancy don’t over stretch.
- Adjust jumping and twisting exercises. Instead of Jumping Jacks I will do single leg step outs and still use my arms.
My list is constantly changing and there are definitely things that feel comfortable one day and not the next so most importantly I’m listening to my body and doing what I feel is best!
Did you exercise when you were pregnant?
What exercises did you avoid?
**Always consult your doctor or physician before beginning a new workout program**